Welcome to the SPANA media centre. Please find all the details of our latest press releases, key information about the charity and how to contact us.
Tom Urpeth, PR and Communications Manager
Tel: +44 (0)20 7269 2691
Marysia McSperrin, Communications Officer
General media enquiries: email@example.com
Find SPANA on Facebook, Twitter @SPANAcharity and YouTube
Key information, facts and figures
• SPANA has been the charity for the working animals of the world since 1923, providing free veterinary care to horses, donkeys, mules and camels in some of the world’s poorest countries. The charity improves the welfare of working animals in three ways: free veterinary treatment, education and training, and emergency and outreach projects.
• It is estimated that there are around 200 million working animals worldwide that do the jobs of trucks, tractors and taxis, many of which work to support impoverished communities in developing countries.
• In 2014, SPANA provided over 200,000 free veterinary treatments to working animals throughout the world. This included treatment for 116,620 donkeys, 44,066 horses, 21,813 mules and 868 camels.
• SPANA works with schoolchildren overseas to promote positive attitudes and build empathy towards animals. In 2014, SPANA’s education programme reached more than 50,000 children in developing countries - helping to ensure a better future for working animals.
• SPANA also carries out a community training programme, working with animal owners in developing countries to address the root causes of welfare problems. The programme is changing attitudes and behaviours, promoting humane treatment of animals and reducing preventable problems and the need for veterinary services.
Interviews with SPANA spokespeople, case studies and images are available on request. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to read the latest press releases from SPANA.